Some months past Mamma mia, given charge of fruit plants at the alloto plotto, added a blackcurrant plant amid numerous raspberry canes and beyond. What the heck does one do with blackcurrants…. Ribena being my only blackcurrant consumption of recollection meant the hunt was on – what can I bake with two handfuls of blackcurrants….
Very few creations surprisingly out there on the immense world wide web other than some variation of apple pie = boring snoring. The English Kitchen on blogspot had obviously had the same problem and using their blackcurrant loaf cake I mixed it up with a blackcurrant and raspberry drizzle loaf. Fruity cake is not my thing so was whipped up for an office treat. It actually tasted quite yum though with the crispy yet mushy topping…..
Allotment Berry drizzle cake
- 2 handfulls of blackcurrants (half cake, half topping)
- 4 handfulls of raspberries (half cake, half topping)
- 180g butter
- 90g caster sugar
- 90g golden caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- Topping -150g granulated sugar & Juice of 3 lemons
- Oven 180oC
- All in one whisk the batter
- Layer a loaf tin with several layers of batter and half of each fruit
- Bake for 1hr
- Mix the granulated sugar, lemon juice and remainder fruit. Stir and slightly squash/ squelch some of the fruit
- Poke some holes with a knife or skewer in the loaf and smoother with the topping. Fruity cakey syrupiness complete…